Sunday, May 22, 2005

Greetings!

Well, I joined this KAL a while ago and haven't posted because I've been too lazy to take pictures! I am making the six-month size for a friend's newborn - she was premature so she won't be wearing it for a while. I'm using the Cotton-Ease in lilac - very pretty! I'm not thrilled with the yarn - there were three knots in the first skein, so I have more ends to weave in than I should. I can see where it would be a bit heavy in a larger size. I'd like to try this pattern in Knitpicks' new cotton blend called Shine.

Also, using 36" needles was completely impossible - I wonder if that is a typo? The bodice for the 6 month size is 17" around - I started the dress on 16" circulars and changed to a 32" at the increase row. I'd rather cram a bunch of stitches onto a smaller needle than have them stretched out on a larger one. This would have been a perfect project for my new Denise interchangeable needles, but I got gauge on 3s and the Denise needles only go down to 5. I'm using Addi Turbos, which are great with cotton yarn.

Here's a picture from a few days ago - I'm about halfway through the skirt now. You can see that my top edge is curling a lot - how have people solved this? Blocking?

4 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Blogger SweetPeaknits said...

Looks gorgeous. I love the colour.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger leah said...

I think the Shine would be wonderful for this project! I know Shetha used TLC cotton and was happy with it (both times!).

I also had problems with the needles though and did the exact same thing you did. Started out with 16" then moved up to 32". It worked much better... it was truly impossible to knit even the 12 month size with 36" needles.

As for the curling, I think steam blocking it did help, but even so, with the little shoulder straps it doesn't curl so much while she's wearing it.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger strangelittlemama said...

I'm using the same color! My top curls like mad too & I asked several posts back-- blocking seems to be the cure.
I'm making the size 4 and it's taking me ages!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Trish said...

I'm making the 6 and it is also taking forever. I have 15" done of 27.5, sigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home