Friday, April 01, 2005

went shopping!

I went and bought the yarn and beads today! Viv (my 3 y.o.) and I picked out the "sugarplum" color of LB CottonEase.
and some clear glass beads with a slight iridescence.
I stopped by the LYS to pick up the needles, but they didn't have the recommended length-- I was wondering, though, isn't the bodice awfully stretched out on those 36" needles? Also, the woman working there said something about threading all the beads on with a beading needle, which I have never even heard of! Are they widely available? I can't wait to get started!

4 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger Cupboard Love said...

The bodice is kinda stretched out, especially for the smaller sizes, but when you double the amount of stitches for the skirt, you really need a larger circ.
You can use a beading needle to thread the beads, but as long as the beads are large enough, you can just paint the tip of the yarn with nail polish and thread them on, and then snip the tip of the yarn off.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger strangelittlemama said...

ahhh, I got the size 6 seed beads, as recommended-- I'll try the nail polish trick!
C

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Cathi said...

I made the blue dress that is shown in the pattern, and I used what's called a Big Eye Needle- the eye runs almost the entire length of the needle, and it's very flexible. They only cost $1 and you can find them at any beading store. I have found this needle to be very helpful (especially since the beads are very tight on the yarn), although I have never tried the nail polish trick.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger shetha said...

I saw an article in Vogue Knitting once that said you can use a regular sewing needle and thread. Make a loop of the thread that's through the sewing needle and then pass the yarn through that loop of thread (the yarn could be about 3-5 inches away from the needle). Then pull the yarn through the bead via the sewing needle and thread. I haven't tried it yet and I don't know if I have the right size of beads! We'll see when I start my second crumpets...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home