Friday, June 17, 2005

Picot Cast On

Can someone gently explain the Picot Cast On? I am comfy with knitting and purling, increasing and decreasing. Can get help from the local yarn shop but one lady I asked hadnt heard of it.

Is there a step by step instruction somewhere?

Thanks so much!


Monday, June 13, 2005


So cute!

Here's the stats - six-month size, Lion Brand Cotton Ease in Lilac. I used a little over the two skeins required, probably due to the fact that I had several knots in the first skein that I had to deal with, and I lost some yardage there. I used size 5 Addi Turbos - started the bodice on 16" circulars and switched to 32" circs at the waist. I crocheted shoulder straps in two parts so they can be adjusted at the shoulder.

I enjoyed the pattern but not the yarn so much. I know the washability factor has made it a favorite with many knitters but I found it a wee bit splitty and heavy, and those knots were really annoying. I'll make the pattern again in different yarn.

I love the smocked effect! That was a fun stitch to do. The crochet at the bottom was a bit of a challenge for me but once I figured out what the heck I was doing I finished it up quickly.

I do have ribbon for it - matching lilac organza. I left it at work, but hopefully I'll get a picture of it with the ribbon before I give it to little Charlotte's dad.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005


Hello everyone!

My name is Debra and I just joined the knit-a-long. I hope I am not too late. Has everyone finished the dress already. Im a relatively new knitter but feel ready to take on the pattern. I've stared at it for about a month now, its sort of hard to take the leap forward and pick up the needles.

I've decided (I think) to use for a size 6 dress. I dont know how to adjust for differnt yarns/needle sizes. Has anyone used this yarn who can guide me a bit. Any insight you can offer would be fabulous!

Thanks so much!

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

finished Crumpets dress

I have finished! I knit this with Filatura diCrosa yarn called Brilla, in color 834. It is a smaller gauge, but I knit too loose so it worked out. I made the size 2, but I think I made it a bit longer. I made a couple of changes; I did not string beads on despite spending $20 on lovely beads because I simply forgot. No excuse, really since this was my second try! The first cast on was too loose, so I started again on a smaller needle (4) and I omitted the picot edge. I used a crochet edging from the Harmony guide which I will post if anyone is interested. I also made thicker straps: ch2, sc, then sc in the upper horizontal loop of that sc until I had a length I wanted. I cross the straps in the back. The dress was very heavy when completed, but adding one layer of elastic to the top of the bodice helped greatly. At some point I will add a few more elastic rounds. As you can see from the picture, it has a lot of drape.

that is my daughter, with almond butter butter on her face :^) she adores this dress to the point that I have had to hide it (!)

More photos on my FO gallery.